8/31/2011

Writing a cover letter

Hi there,

I just came across the interesting article "Ten worst things to put in your cover letter".
Personally I guess the resume is more important than the cover letter, because if you are able to write nice thinks in your cover letter, but your resume is not qualifying you for the role you are applying for, I won't proceed anyways, while I absolutely would proceed, if somebody applies with an awesome resume, but even without a cover letter.

So my conclusion is:
Awesome cover letter + weird resume = most likely no invitation for an interview
Weird/no cover letter + awesome resume = probably invitation for an interview
Awesome cover letter + awesome resume = invitation for an interview almost guaranteed


Cheers,
Andy

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your point of view. In my case I usually send the cover letter to explain a bit more my situation and my expectations.

    But for what I saw recently, most of the time I have to send my cover/resume for a job offer without knowing the company name or having a good job description (mainly due to the recruiting agencies trying to hide their precious information). This is why I don't know how to write a good cover letter in those cases.

    But the cover is still the first words/sentences the recruiter is going to read so It is worth putting some effort in it.

    ReplyDelete